One day, I went to email a contact on my Android tablet, and as I started to type his email address, a different name came up. Oddly, I noticed that all of Chris’ email addresses were now showing up under Leo’s name (along with Leo’s email addresses).
Additionally, in the Google Voice call log and text history on my tablet, any calls or texts with Chris showed up as calls/texts with Leo.
This was not expected. In Gmail on the web, and in Gmail on my Android phone, both contacts were still distinct, but not on my tablet; they were merged together somehow…
All devices sync up 100% with my Google account, and neither Android device has any non-Android contacts or a sync set up with anything else.
Heck, I don’t even now HOW to merge contacts on Android or if that is even possible.
I suspected that perhaps they accidentally had an email address in common on both profiles and that caused a link. This was not the case.
Strangely, when I went to edit the contact on my tablet, both Chris and Leo’s contact record showed up stacked on top of each other – and separate! – but all under Leo’s name. Very confusing.
And that’s when I discovered that if – while editing a mysteriously merged contact – you click the “more” (3 dots) button, you have an option to Seperate the contacts. One click on “Separate” and a confirmation later and they’re back to how they should be!
I still have no idea how or why they got merged as their names, numbers, and emails have nothing in common.
I also still don’t know why they merged locally on only one device, but nowhere else.
But I DO now know how to fix and I hope that this helps you, too!